Older homes have great charm with lots of unique details such as crown molding, dumbwaiters, and cellars. These houses have stood the test of time, but often times lack modern day conveniences such as air conditioning and open floor plans. Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering purchasing an older home.
Advantages of Older Homes
- Lots of windows – older homes tend to have plenty of natural light due to all of their windows which appeals to a lot of home buyers.
- Mature landscaping – trees and shrubbery surrounding the home has likely had many years to grow in, providing you with more privacy and improved curb appeal.
- High ceilings – these homes were built with tall ceilings to help keep them cool during hot summer months. Although rooms may be smaller, high ceilings help give the appearance of more space and also allow for more storage opportunities.
- Established neighborhoods – if your home is old, it is likely in a well established neighborhood so you may avoid the noise of new construction.
Disadvantages of Older Homes
- Code violations – chances are you are going to run into code issues, whether that be older wiring, improper ventilation systems, or not having proper permits.
- Having to remodel – having to remodel a home can be very expensive. Living in it while you are doing so isn’t fun due to noise, dirt, and general inconveniences as systems are getting redone.
- Lack of insulation – modern insulation is very efficient at keeping home temperature steady, however, older homes tend to fluctuate in temperature rapidly due to single pane windows and traditional insulation styles. This may be be uncomfortable to live in and cause higher heating bills.
- Traditional floor plans – kitchens often are closed off behind doors and floor plans can generally seem awkward compared to newer builds.
- Unwanted pests – older homes tend to be more prone to infestations of mice, cockroaches, and other creatures so you may have to invest in pest control.
It is a great idea to have an idea of what you are getting into when purchasing an older home. Having a trusted inspector thoroughly check everything out before purchasing is important so you can factor renovation costs into your budget. If you are considering buying a home in the Mid-Willamete Valley area, give us a call at 541-766-0262. We are proud to provide The Best Experience in Real Estate.