Ryan’s Investment Corner
Screening residential tenants in Oregon is an important step in ensuring that you find a responsible and reliable tenant for your property. The best way to screen tenants is to follow a consistent and thorough process that includes gathering information, verifying it, and making a decision based on the information you have gathered.
- Gather information about the tenant, including their name, contact information, employment and income information, rental history, credit score, and criminal history. I use ORHA Form S1 or a digital application through Apartments.com
- Verify the information by contacting previous landlords, employers, and any other references provided by the tenant.
- Make a decision about whether to rent to the tenant based on their credit score , rental history, and criminal history I use mysmartmove.com which allows me to send a link to the potential tenant, the tenant enters their info and pays them directly, and then I get sent the report.
- Comply with fair housing laws, and make sure your lease agreement is in writing and compliant with the state laws.
- Be consistent and thorough throughout the process to increase your chances of finding a responsible and reliable tenant for your property.